It’s pretty obvious I’m a fan of good food. I understand and appreciate what it takes to prepare amazing gourmet meals with obscure and special ingredients, and I don’t mind paying for meals like that every once in a while. But to be honest? I’d rather spend that money on the more precious and longer-lasting things in life. Like shoes. Or, if you’re reading Mom, books. So when I find a gem with excellent food at reasonable prices, I’m all over that like red on a Louboutin.
I’d driven past Delancey about a hundred times on my way through Hollywood, as I’m sure a lot of you Angelenos have. Tucked away on Sunset between the Silver Lake hub and the Hollywood bar scene, it’s advertised as an Italian cafe/pizzeria… But don’t be fooled. There is some seriously scrumptious Italian cooking going on here. And it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
First of all, there are 18 fabulous pizzas to choose from, with toppings like mozzarella and meatballs, or wild mushrooms with truffle butter and a fried egg. And if you’re asking me, the only thing better than pizza is pizza with a fried egg on it. (Deep fry that fried egg, and I’ll marry you.)
We decided to do sharezies so we could try a bunch of things, and after some suggestions from our lovely waiter, we went with the following:
– heavenly, juicy beef/pork/ricotta meatballs with arrabiata sauce and grilled bread for dipping
– bruschetta with dates, prosciutto, goat cheese, and a sweet and syrupy balsamic drizzle
– even more bruschetta, this time topped with smoky roasted tomatoes and ricotta salata
– papardelle with pork “sugo” (kind of like a pork bolognese, creamy tomato zesty deliciousness), chili, and fennel
– penne with a vodka tomato cream sauce and thick sliced Italian sausage
– and, because it was on the menu and I am me, spaghetti carbonara, loaded with thick chunks of bacon, tons of parmesan cheese, and a douse of black pepper
Everything. Was. Perfect.
And bonus? Each generous portion was $14 or less. Worth every penny, friends.
How is this place not packed to the rafters with a line up around the block?! How am I not there right now, eating that pork sugo with a vengeance?!